Translate

Saturday, October 18, 2014

What a diff an inch makes..PODay 125

What a difference an inch makes, 2.54 little centimeters.

I mentioned recently that  I had suddenly noticed I was shorter. It's driving me crazy. After an adult lifetime of 67 inches, 66 inches is unexpected. It would be reasonable for you to say that reaching for things was a problem caused by my right arm not being able to elevate and extend. But I've been living with that for over a year. My left arm has managed very well retrieving highly placed articles around the house. I've had to make a lot of adjustments living as a one armed bandit but height was not one of them.

It started with the little bowl I use to scramble up eggs. I have to tip toe now to get it down off of its spot on the shelf. I have a low stool in my closet now so I can hang up clothes on the upper rack. Used to not be a problem. The other day I wanted a black belt to wear but belts are in a hat box on a high shelf. I wore a silver belt that was curled up. I hadn't put it away because the hat box was just barely out of reach. My make up might be a bit garish as the switch for the extra light over the bathroom sink requires more effort to reach than I care to make.

Conversely, my feet seem to have gotten longer. A favorite pair of shoes I haven't worn in a while are suddenly too small. And a nice pair of leather gloves don't seem to have enough room for my long fingers anymore. I could make quite a demonstration in a courtroom with them if necessary. The surgeon suggested my operated arm would be longer post rTSA but that didn't happen. I know, I measured it before and after. Good thing because I already have long arms. Hats still fit. I guess I haven't lost enough hair to make that kind of difference...yet.

The thing is we all must have experienced this access-changing phenomenon, only in the reverse, growing up. I don't remember being surprised as the inches added up and I could reach new heights. Were there just so many readjustments in life that we didn't notice? We have a wall in our house where everyone's height is recorded. The grandchildren add a good three inches a year. Dear Husband and I seem to be going in the opposite direction. Yes, it's happening to him too and he can't blame it on shoulder surgery!

http://youtu.be/ks02alWbpvk


Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, October--

No comments:

Post a Comment