Translate

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Computer trouble...PO Day 136

Never think you can solve someone else's computer problem!

I don't know what I was thinking! When did I become the computer maven around here? I had stumbled through installing a new gmail account on my computer and that made me an expert? Dear Husband wanted to install a gmail account that had been inactive for a few years on his computer's mail program and I acted like I knew all about it. "I'll do it for you," I offered. Unfortunately, he trusts me.

So here I sit, watching that little revolving gear spinning for at least the last thirty minutes, waiting to speak to Apple tech support. What went wrong? Well, first, while he had not been using the gmail account for a few years, incoming mail had continued to pile up so that there were more than 20,000 emails downloading to his computer when we got the old/new account installed. It's too long a story but we (I really mean I) kept creating mirror accounts so at one point there were 92,000 emails coming in.

Much later... Apple was very busy today but I finally connected with a great female tech. She was so gracious and made me feel not so much like an idiot. There was a simple software error that was keeping the messages from being deleted at each attempt. Love Apple's ability to take control of your computer and see what you see. Can't believe how knowledgable the techs are. And how nice! The smartest thing Dear Husband did when he bought this computer was to pay for an additional two years technical support. I joke that I am sure there is a black mark that comes up beside our phone number when we call in!

Wouldn't it be terrific if we could pay for "support"for our poor bodies? I would call the 800 number and report that there had been an accident and a peripheral part had been broken. Two days later a package would arrive by Fed Ex containing the modular shoulder components that connect the humerus to the scapula. The directions would be a little difficult to discern, all pictures and no words. It would include a CD to guide you if needed. Trial and error and a few bad words later, the new shoulder would be installed and operational...no operation involved. Just in my imagination.

http://youtu.be/pBOX_YbwT9

No comments:

Post a Comment