Translate

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Right again...PO Day 240

I'm trying to be more self aware, pay attention to what is happening as it happens, not wake up one morning and be surprised by changes. That's how it usually is. That's how it was when I was surprised to realize the pain in the bicep part of my operated arm wasn't there anymore.

So, I shouldn't be saying this outloud but I think the pain in the tricep part of my operated arm is lessening. There are a million little things I do now that I have been avoiding for more than a year. I can raise the lever for the bowl of my kitchenaid mixer with my right hand. I can stir the chocolate chips into the stiff cookie dough good enough that there are actually chips in the last five or ten cookies. I can turn the shower lever on and off with my right hand and wash my hair with my right hand. I can iron several items and do it better than before. I can open most jars, but still not the childproof medicine bottles. I can reach the miscreant sock that hides at the back wall of the dryer.

I can finally do these things mostly without pain. There is some discomfort still if I actually reach behind my back but even that is improving,

I am adroit again...capable, able. Or french for right handed.  And no longer gauche...awkward, uncoordinated. Or french for a leftie. Not even ambidextrous, which is pretty much how I have been functioning for the recent months. In french, ambidextre.

What a shame left handed ness has carried such a stigma through the past. Thank goodness left handed children are no longer punished for using the left hand to write or throw or eat. And isn't it amazing that so many of our modern day presidents have been lefties....Truman, Ford, Bush (HW), probably Reagan, Clinton, and Obama. I've read that left handed people who have to function in a right handed world grow up to be more flexible and creative. I'm hoping that my spell as a leftie made me grow a little intellectually. Physically, I am still shrinking.



No comments:

Post a Comment