Translate

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Don't run so fast...PO Day 245

Combine a Valentine's dinner than was not an early bird special with an uncharged ipad and you get a very tardy blog post on February 14th. I do apologize but dinner was wonderful and my iPad is up and running again.

The Las Angeles Times ran a story about a Danish study of 5000 people over a period of twelve years. They found that runners who jogged fast, seven minute miles or faster, four or more times a week had a mortality rate equal to people who did no exercise at all.

But walker-runners who logged twelve minute miles for only two hours a week had significantly lower death rates.

Apparently there is a growing opinion that too much exercise can stress the cardiovascular system, indeed the whole body. So much exercise may not be necessary, in fact, might be unhealthy.

Boy, am I glad to read this in the recent issue of The Week. Everyone walks faster than me...old ladies with three tippy little dogs walk faster than I do. It's embarrassing. I walk an hour every day only because I walk so slowly. If a twelve minute mile is better than a seven minute mile...does that mean a twenty minute mile is better yet? I sure hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment