Translate

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Insomnia. Drugs...PO Day 242

Ever since I fell and broke my shoulder , July 2013, sleeping has been a terrible problem. Mostly it has been the discomfort and not being able to sleep on that side. I think insomnia is associated with broken shoulders so it's not just me. Even now that I have much less discomfort I still do not sleep well. Now I think it is more habit than pain that keeps me awake.

When friends or acquaintances hear about my sleep trouble many of them suggest over the counter drugs that work for them. But I have resisted and now I am really glad that I have!

According to BBC.com researchers at the University of Washington followed 3,434 senior aged people for eight years. Of particular interest was their use of anticholinergic drugs like Nytol for sleep and antihistamines Benedryl and Piriton.

During the course of the study 23% of the participants developed dementia, Alzheimer's disease mainly. People who took the highest doses of anticholinergic drugs had a higher rate of getting dementia and a 63 percent higher risk for Alzheimer's. The suspect drug was present in antidepressants, sleeping pills, and bladder control drugs and was most likely to cause trouble if taken for more than three years.

This is a terrible situation to be in. The anticholerinergic component that's the problem is in over the counter drugs to treat these medical problems. I don't know if it is in prescription drugs that might treat the conditions but if it is I'd be asking my doctor about it. Is a good night's sleep worth the increase in the risk of developing Alzheimer's? I don't think so.

1 comment:

  1. This post is quite disturbing indeed! My husband's internist has long advised him that use of the OTC unisom is absolutely safe. I feel certain the internist does NOT know about this study. This info about anticholinergenic drugs is jaw dropping and will necessitate further discussion with internist and pharmacist.
    But, on the other hand, the long term effects of less than optimal sleep are serious and numerous. See the list below from WebMD and then ponder...what is a person to do ??!!


    In the long term, the clinical consequences of untreated sleep disorders are large indeed. They are associated with numerous, serious medical illnesses, including:
    • High blood pressure
    •Heart attack
    •Heart failure
    •Stroke
    •Obesity
    •Psychiatric problems, including depression and other mood disorders
    •Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
    •Mental impairment
    •Fetal and childhood growth retardation
    •Injury from accidents
    •Disruption of bed partner's sleep quality
    •Poor quality of life

    Studies show an increased mortality risk for those reporting less than either six or seven hours per night. One study found that reduced sleep time is a greater mortality risk than smoking, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Sleep disturbance is also one of the leading predictors of institutionalization in the elderly, and severe insomnia triples the mortality risk in elderly men.

    ReplyDelete