Translate

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Less than perfect 17 months PO

I wore a smock like dress a couple days ago. It had a kind of square scoop neck, not too low cut but wide. For the first time it was apparent there is an asymmetry between my two front shoulders. The unoperared side has some flesh or fat under the skin so the transition from pectoral muscle to the head of the humerus is smooth and full. On the operated side the scar vertically bisects that junction, there is a lack of fat beneath the skin and that makes the bony humerus more prominent.

Am I complaining? Heavens, no!  I continue to be very satisfied with my surgical result. I do still have some limitation of movement. I can't comfortably move my right arm behind my back. I can't lift heavy items above my shoulder height on that side. I tend not to roll on that side to sleep. And I do most of my heavy lifting with the other arm. But I have very good, nearly full extension of that arm. I have very good development of the deltoid muscle, necessary to raise and lift the arm after surgery. And my flexibility has improved so putting on and taking off a shirt or jacket is easier, if not always graceful.

Compared to the limitation of movement prior to surgery and the constant pain, I have nothing to complain about.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees with the human body and surgery. I guess that's one reason doctors want you to wait so long before going the surgery route. If you are truly miserable, even a less than perfect surgical result is an improvement. Interestingly, I read a study that reported, based on the SST ( Simple shoulder test ), patients were typically more satisfied with the surgical results that were their surgeons. I guess the doctors want things to be perfect and we just want to feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment