Translate

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Can you ever disconnect?

You know how when you buy something nowadays and they ask you for your email address...do you ever think about why they want it? Are they wanting to follow up, see if your new dress fits or your toaster is satisfactory? Are they going to use it to notify you if there is recall on the item? Probably not.

Remember when you first had email and you were thrilled to receive any kind of internet communication. And when you sent a friend a message and then callled them to tell them to check their email. What innocent days! Little did we realize what was coming.

Now we are innundated with emails. Our doctor's office sends emails. Church and school use it to communicate. The bank sends statements, the power company sends our bill by email. The airline reminds us of our upcoming flight. Our favorite hotel chain wants to know when we are going to take a trip. High school classmates are looking for us and current friends are keeping tabs on us. Receipts for purcchases are easier to keep track of in email form rather than as slips of paper in our purse.All that is okay, mostly.

But the ads! The solicitations! Every night, in the middle of the night, little unseenn gnomes hit "SEND" and my mailbox fills up with  coupons and flyers. Links to sales and bargains click into view pretending to be from firends who want to share their weight loss secrets. New shoes,  presecription drugs, worthwhile and dubious charities, mom and pop stores and major corporations, all knock on my virtual front door. Do I want a female companion from the Balkins? Will I rescue my distant acquaintance stuck in Greece with no money? Surely I will invest $10,000. to help free up a
million dollars being held hostage in some third world fiduciary morass. From legitimate entrepreneurs to blatant con artists, they queue up in my mail box hoping to catch my eye.

Scroll to the bottom and the more traditional ones offer an "unsubscribe" link. How many times I have clicked that! A promise that I will no longer receive notices from them appears on screeen. But has it ever worked? Have i even once managed to divorce the solicitor? Not yet. But hope springs eternal and I persevere. But I alwaus wonder if asking to unsubscribe actually adds my email address to some other list of victims.

In the meantime I slog through my inbox trying to separate the wheat from the chaff, deleting and deleting and hopefully not deleting a message from you!


3 comments:

  1. When I want to see only emails from friends and family, I go to my contact list and scroll through to mark each one to add it to my "favorite" list. It will put a star next to the name and when you check your email, go to "Mailboxes" at the top of the screen and then click on "VIP" and only those emails will be listed. Takes all the junk out, but you still have to delete them at some point. Hope this helps. Glad to see you are blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. I just checked my ipad for the "favorites" and it is not there! But, it is on my iphone. Don't understand that! So, nevermind.

      Delete
    2. One more note, then I will shut up. When you open an email from someone you want on your VIP list on your ipad, click on the name of the sender and that is where you add them to that list. Sorry, I guess I got up too early today and not thinking straight yet.

      Delete