Translate

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Actually, it is not easy getting your ducks in a row.






I thought I had everything planned so well. At my last doctor visit I asked for the prescription for post surgery pain medication they would be giving me. No problem. My plan has been to get it filled today, six days before the actual surgery. There would be no last minute anxiety, rushing or waiting for the pharmacy to fill the RX.

So off to the drug store I went this morning.

Yes, they had heard of the drug but they did not have it in stock and, even if ordered today, it would not be available for a full week. Yikes! I hope I don't need a lot of narcotic type drugs but sure want to have them available if I do.

So I let my fingers do the shopping and called several chain pharmacies. The first store did not have the drug. The second pharmacy said yes, they had it in stock. Since the drug store is in an adjacent town that I am really not familiar with I asked for directions. The agent said she was not physically in the store itself but she could connect me to the store. The young woman who answered the phone was very nice but not sure if she was east or west of the Interstate highway. Once we converted to right turn-left turn directionese I knew where to go. I decided to ask to speak to a real person in the pharmacy and she connected me. NO, they did not have the drug! Apparently the centralized stock inventory was wrong. Good thing I asked.

Finally, after two more calls, I found a drug store that had 36 tablets. My prescription was written for 50. Yes, they could order fourteen more but that would turn my one RX for a narcotic into two RXs and would not comply with pharmaceutical rules. If I could wait until the order arrived, then they could dispense the proper number to me legally. 

So my fingers are crossed that the stock order will arrive as planned and I will be able to wrangle at least one duck into position.



1 comment: