Translate

Wednesday, May 21, 2014





It has been ten months since my accident.  Dr. Evel Knievel,*, my first orthopod , released me at five and a half months post fracture even though I still had considerable pain and very limited range of motion. He said the bone was healed and the pain would diminish with time. Although he never said it, I felt as if he thought I was being a wimp  about the discomfort.


At nine months post injury I went to my primary care physician, Dr. Kildare*. I told him I was in considerable pain and could only sleep in one to two  hour stretches. Bless his heart, he took me seriously and sent me for an MRI, the first and  only one since the fracture.

The MRI shows a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus ligament, a partial tear of the subcapsularis tendon, and vascular necrosis of the posterior humeral head and neck. There is extensive deformity of the humeral head and neck.

So here I am ten months post fracture with a new orthopod, Dr. Kawika Kai*, who has ordered a CT scan and says there will be no improvement without surgery. We will talk about options on my next appointment.

What is a girl to do?


*Names have been changed to protect the guilty, the innocent, and mostly me from getting sued.



No comments:

Post a Comment