Translate

Friday, August 5, 2016

Two years plus six weeks approximately PO

Has it really been more than two years since my shoulder surgery? I've totally lost track of how many days. There is probably an app or a website that could calculate it for me but I think 2 years plus 6 weeks is close enough now.'

I saw my surgeon for my two year post op visit in early July. Naturally the visit included an X-Ray. It always makes me wonder how doctors knew what was going on before X-rays were available, I thought I was totally prepared for the process; no metal like hooks on bras, no buttons so one does not have to undress for the X-ray. But the loose lace top I wore was a problem. The technician said knotty lace fabric (not naughty!) showed up as a jillion spots in an X-ray. So I had to change into the hated hospital gown.

I love how the X-ray is posted on the computer in the room and I can see what the doctor sees, My first orthopod did not have hat amenity in his office.  When I first broke my shoulder I asked to see the X-ray. All he could do for me was bring me a very poor quality print out that was worthless. He couldn't or wouldn't even take me back to where he was able to look at the actual films. I should have known then to change doctors!

Anyway, all  the pulling and pushing, hammering and screwing, stretching and crunching I have done in the last year seems to have had no ill effect and everything looks fine. My range of motion is amazing and he is very pleased with how I have done and his own handiwork. I have graduated to a "return in two years" schedule.

What Ihave learned as I enter the third post op year is that the healing is not over and the process continues. At one year post op I thought I was doing fine and had reached optimum recovery. But as I prepared for my two year post op exam I realized I had come along way in the second year. I bragged to my doctor about how well I was doing. Of course,I admitted, there were a few limitations but they were to be expected and, I believed, permanent.

Do I never learn? One of the "permanent" handicaps was the inability to hook a bra behind my back. I had to either do the front hook-twist maneuver or wear front closure bras. I was resigned even though I frequently tried. It was impossible. But within two weeks after my two year visit I unconsciously tried and I was able, with a bit of a struggle to do it! A small but significant step forward. Now I am almost always able to "hook up" normally. It's a little thing, I know, but a big step in feeling back to normal.

I do still have some discomfort. Some movements are no-nos. And sometimes there is a catch that accompanies an up and down motion that I don't like. If I overdo things my arm hurts but so does my un operated arm. It's good to have realistic expectations. The surgery was not a visit to the Fountain of Youth. But, even as I have been surprised by my progress in PO year 2, perhaps I will be surprised in PO year 3.

I hope so!

3 comments:

  1. Hi I've just found your blog - although prior to my surgery in November 2015 was unable to find anything so I wrote my own blog which much to my surprise is of a similar format to yours. I shall look forward to reading the rest of yours to see if there are similarities in experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete